Thursday, June 15, 2006

Quotes about libraries, books, and reading

"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island..." –
Walt Disney (1901-1966)

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." –
Groucho Marx


"My alma mater was books, a good library ... I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity." –
Malcolm X From “The Autobiography of Malcolm X”

"When I was your age, television was called books!" –
Grandpa in The Princess Bride

"You must live feverishly in a library. Colleges are not going to do any good unless you are raised and live in a library every day of your life." –
Ray Bradbury

"What can I say? Librarians rule!" –
Regis Philbin (Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? 2/17/00)

"I have found the most valuable thing in my wallet is my library card." --
Laura Bush, First Lady

"I would walk into the Carnegie Library and I would see the pictures of Booker T. and pictures of Frederick Douglass and I would read. I would go into the Savannah Public Libraries in the stacks and see all of the newspapers from all over the country. Did I dream that I would be on the Supreme Court? No. But I dreamt that there was a world out there that was worth pursuing." --
Clarence Thomas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice

"When you are growing up, there are two institutional places that affect you most powerfully -- the church, which belongs to God, and the public library, which belongs to you. The public library is a great equalizer." –
Keith Richards, Rolling Stones Guitarist

"I cannot live without books." –
Thomas Jefferson

"...I spent many, many hours in...libraries. Libraries became courts of last resort, as it were." –
Arthur Ashe

"The only way to do all the things you'd like to do is to read." –
Tom Clancy

"Life would be--to me in all events--a terrible thing without books." –
L.M. Montgomery

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My two favorite are:
"I...am...a...LIBRARIAN!"
--Evie, heroine of the movie
The Mummy, 1999

and:
"I need to find a library...fast!"
--Robert Langdon, The Da Vinci
Code movie, 2006

--Tina S.

Anonymous said...

My two favorite are:
"I...am...a...LIBRARIAN!"
--Evie, heroine of the movie
The Mummy, 1999

and:
"I need to find a library...fast!"
--Robert Langdon, The Da Vinci
Code movie, 2006

--Tina S.